While you are at the beach, you are going to notice several people reading a book while sunbathing. Likewise, there are many who take a book or newspaper, or even their tablet or e-book reader with them when they go for a picnic. The only problem is that some of these people may need reading glasses, and as a result they cannot wear sunglasses on top of them so as to protect their eyes from the sun’s rays. Luckily this problem can be solved with sun readers.
Sun readers are also known as reading sunglasses. Basically they are a combination of reading glasses and sunglasses. For many people they are the perfect pair of glasses as they serve a dual purpose – that of protecting their eyes from the sunlight and its glare, as well as enabling them to read or do any other close up work too. This is because these glasses will have the reader prescription built inside the lens, which is also tinted.
It is important to bear in mind the following guidelines when you go to buy a pair of sun readers:
- Choosing the lens tint – the color of the tint varies, but it is generally recommended to opt for greyish tints, or green colored lenses as these will not distort the color as much as other colors.
- Polarized sunglasses – polarized reading glasses are ideal if the sun’s glare bothers you a lot.
- Bifocal or full – there are two main types of sun readers. There are the full reader sunglasses where the whole lens has the magnification and the prescription. Then there are the bifocal reader sunglasses which will only have part of the lens with magnification. The upper part will be non-prescription sunglass. The bifocal ones are generally preferred as they allow you to look both at nearby as well as far away objects while remaining protected from the sun’s rays all along.
- Different styles – the market is packed with all sorts of styles so as to cater for customers’ diverse needs and preferences. So it is a good idea to try on various styles so as to see which types best suits your face shape. Obviously since they are going to serve as sunglasses it is always best to opt for a lens that is a bit wide in order to block sunlight better, as well as protect the skin around your eyes which is very delicate. Apart from this, it is also crucial that you make sure that it fits you well. So do check if they slide or pinch, and ideally your eyelashes should not touch the lens. A secure fit is always best.
- Protection – the protection that your sun readers should offer is imperative. Make sure that they block 99 or 100% of UVA and UVB.
Sun readers are a must have nowadays as they can make your life easier while offering protection for the sun. In the long run their use will have prolonged your vision as eye strain and fatigue would have been minimized greatly.